Scandinavia winter tour review - Helsinki, Tallinn, Kakslauttanen, Kirkenes, Oslo - December 2015
"What a sensational trip and experience! The planning was perfect. The time that we spent in each country and city was just right and the activities that were organised were different and memorable. Scandinavia in winter is spectacular. The scenery is simply breathtaking and the winter activities enjoyable. The “winter gear” provided for the various tours allowed us to enjoy every moment. Yes it was cold, but how often can you tell your friends and family that it was – 42o C (yes minus) and we were out at night on snowmobiles in the middle of a forest! Our highlights were many:
- The Glo Hotel Kluuvi - Very comfortable and very accommodating. We arrived at 6 am and they provided us with a room so that we could freshen up and even catch up on some sleep.
- Beautiful city to simply wander in with Christmas celebrations everywhere.
Tallinn Christmas Market
- Forget the new city, just spend time in the old city, the Christmas market and surrounds.
Kakslauttanen (beautiful sounding name)
- Husky sled ride and being out in the wilderness
- Northern lights
- Cross country skiing while snowing
- Cabin accommodation – absolutely wonderful
- Riding snow mobiles at night through the forest
- Gathering King crabs and the feast afterwards
- Simply chatting to the locals (Erik, ex-miner and now tourist guide)
- Exceptional architecture – interesting and different
Many thanks to Asko Meriläinen from 50o North for organizing this memorable holiday for our family."