Learn about the natural medicines and mystical cultural facets of the indigenous Sámi people living in far northern Europe.
- Experience the Sámi way of life
- Try traditional, natural food
- Learn about the Sámi shaman
You often hear the Sámi say `nature is our culture´ and considering their intuitive knowledge about nature and its potential you can understand why. No one has made greater use of nature's own "pharmacy and pantry" than the Sámi reindeer herders. On this excursion, reindeer herders share their insight and a taste of Sámi culinary traditions as well as medicinal herbs sourced from Arctic nature. You also learn about Sámi culture and handicrafts as well as listen to joiks and tales about the Sámi Shaman (Noaidi).
As the excursion crosses Europe's northernmost reaches by bus, a guide tells us about the Nordkyn peninsula, its nature, seasons, weather, climate and everyday life in the two fishing villages of Kjøllefjord and Mehamn. Most people are not aware that the Arctic wilderness abounds in herbs and medicines. A growing number of people today are utilizing ancient knowledge about Arctic flora as a means to alleviate pain and discomfort. The Sámi are known for herding reindeer, distinctive handicrafts (duodji) and their affinity for nature. Traditional food such as reindeer meat, fish and berries are still an important part of the Sámi diet.
- Disembarking port: Kjøllefjord
- Embarking port: Mehamn
- Southbound or Northbound: Northbound
- Approximate arrival/departure times: 17:15 - 19:30
- Available period: 06 September - 05 November
- Transportation: Bus
- Meals on the trip: Taste of local specialties.
- Clothes/Footwear: Comfortable shoes, warm clothing.