Experience Bodø and Saltstraumen
Join us for a sightseeing tour through Bodø and a visit to the strongest tidal current in the world, three tousand year old Saltstraumen.
- City Sightseeing of Bodø with audio guide
- View the fantastic landscape around Bodø, which is known for all the sea eagles
- Visit Saltstraumen - the strongest tidal current in the world
Our excursion starts with a sightseeing tour through the city of Bodø, which lies just north of the Arctic Circle. We then drive some six miles through fantastic coastal landscape to Saltstraumen – the strongest tidal current in the world with water speeds reaching 22 knots. Saltstraumen has fascinated people for generations. Author Jules Verne even wrote about it in his famous novel 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
Up to 13 billion cubic feet of seawater forces its way through a 1.9 mile long passage that is just 150 metres/490 ft wide and 31 metres/100 ft deep. Vortices known as maelstroms, up to 10 m/33 ft in diameter and 5 m/16 ft in depth, are formed when the current is at its strongest. After seeing Saltstraumen, you receive a complimentary box of salt flakes produced from the water here. Like snowflakes, salt crystals are unique. Water temperature, season and humidity at Saltstraumen stamp a unique footprint on each and every salt flake. Take your salt home and add authentic Arctic flavour to your cooking.
- Disembarking port: Bodø
- Embarking port: Bodø
- Southbound or Northbound: Northbound
- Approximate arrival/departure times: 12:40 - 14:50
- Available period: All year
- Transportation: Bus
- Clothes/Footwear: Hiking shoes, warm and windproof clothing
- Note: Multiguide system in bus