A Taste of Norway in Hjørundfjord
- See the beautiful Hjørundfjord
- Taste local specialties
- See ancient settlements beneath the water's surface
Enjoy “a taste of Norway” and see places that have fascinated visitors for centuries. After arriving Hjørundfjord by sea, a tender boat takes you to the tiny village Urke. From here, we go by bus through what is considered Norway’s narrowest valley, Norangsdalen. Because of its shape and location, Norangsdalen is often closed during winter. In 1908 there was a large landslide that dammed a lake named Lyngstølvatnet and submerged an ancient settlement that you can see beneath the surface of the water.
We also visit the historic Hotel Union Øye, one of the most distinct hotels in all of Europe. Built in 1891, the hotel provides elegant comfort in magnificent natural surroundings and has been a favorite of European royalty, writers and lovers for generations. Enjoy local specialties and a drink here before we return to Urke and visit the local grocer or a pub. We guarantee a great experience in the midst of majestic scenery.
- Disembarking Port: Urke
- Embarking port: Urke
- Direction: Northbound
- Approximate arrival/departure times: 12:00 - 14:15
- Available From: 2 September - 1 November
- Duration: 2 hours 15 min
- Level: 1
- Transportation: Boat/Bus
- Meals During the Excursion: Taste of local specialties
- Clothes/Footwear: Comfortable shoes and warm clothing
- Landing is by tender boat, so getting on and off the craft may be difficult for people with impaired mobility.