Privacy & Legal
50 Degrees North Group is committed to providing quality services to you and this policy outlines our ongoing obligations to you in respect of how we manage your Personal Information. The policy sets out how we collect, use, disclose and protect your information, as we understand this is important to you.
We have put in place measures to ensure that any personal information we collect from you will only be collected, stored, used and disclosed in accordance to this policy.
Any reference to ‘50 Degrees North Group’; ’50 Degrees North’; ‘us’; ‘we’; and ‘our’ means the 50 Degrees North Group of companies including 50 Degrees North Pty Ltd; 50 Degrees North Holdings Pty Ltd; and 50 Degrees North Nordic AS.
In General. We receive and store any information you enter on our website or give us in any other way. This includes information that can identify you ("personal information"), including your first and last name, date of birth, telephone number, postal and email addresses, medical and dietary reuirements. We may also request information about your hotel room preferences and frequent flyer and car rental program information. You can choose not to provide information to us, but in general some information about you is required in order for you to book travel; complete a traveler profile; ask us a question; or initiate other transactions with us.
Travel Companion Information. When you make a reservation for someone else, we will request personal information and travel preferences about that individual. You should obtain the consent of other individuals prior to providing us with their personal information and travel preferences, as any access to view or change their information will be available only through you.
Information from Other Sources. We also may periodically obtain both personal and non-personal information about you from affiliated entities, business partners and other independent third-party sources and add it to our account information. Examples of information we may receive include: updated delivery and address information, purchase history, and demographic information.
Automatic Information. We automatically collect some information about your computer when you visit our website. For example, we will collect your IP address, Web browser software (such as Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer), and referring website. We also may collect information about your online activity, such as trips viewed and bookings made. Our goals in collecting this automatic information include helping customize your user experience and inhibiting fraud.
For more information, please see Cookies and other technologies below.
We use information about you for the following general purposes: to provide you with the products and services you request; to provide you with travel confirmation and updates; to manage your booking, including processing bills and providing travel notifications; to communicate with you in general; to respond to your questions and comments; to measure interest in and improve our products, services, and website; to notify you about special offers and products or services that may be of interest to you; to otherwise customize your experience in communicating with us; to solicit information from you, including through surveys; to resolve disputes, collect fees, or troubleshoot problems; to prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities; and as otherwise described to you at the point of collection.
We may share your information with the following entities:
- Suppliers, such as hotel, airline, car rental, and activity providers, who fulfill your travel reservations. We do not share your email address with these suppliers unless they need it to fulfill the travel reservation you have made with 50 Degrees North, and we restrict their use of this information to that purpose. We do not place limitations on our suppliers' use or disclosure of your other personal information. Please note that these suppliers may also contact you as necessary to obtain additional information about you, facilitate your travel reservation, or respond to a review you may submit.
- Foreign governments, embassies, consulates or restricted areas. If travelling to a country for which you need a visitor entry visa or permit, we may assist you obtaining a visa invitation letter or permit. This is particularly relevant for the Russian Federation. In such case we are required to disclose your personal information including full name, date of birth, nationality and passport details to our suppliers or foreign visa/permit authority, in order for them to issue your visa invitation letter.
- Business partners with whom we may jointly offer products or services, or whose products or services may be offered through us. You can tell when a third party is involved in a product or service you have requested because their name will appear, either alone or with ours. If you choose to access these optional services, we may share information about you, including your personal information, with those partners. Please note that we do not control the privacy practices of these third-party business partners.
- Referring websites. If you were referred to our website from another site (for example, through a link you clicked on another site that directed you to this one), we may share some information about you with that referring website. We have not placed limitations on the referring websites use of your personal information and we encourage you to review the privacy policies of any website that referred you here.
We also may share your information:
- To establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases we reserve the right to raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
- When we believe it is appropriate to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal or suspected illegal activities; to protect and defend the rights, property, or safety of our company or this website, our customers, or others; and in connection with our Terms & Conditions and other agreements.
- In connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
Companies to whom personal information is disclosed which are registered in the United States may be required to provide information under the USA PATRIOT Act H.R. 3162.
Other than as set out above, you will be notified when personal information about you will be shared with third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to have us share such information.
Your Personal Information is stored in a manner that reasonably protects it from misuse and loss and from unauthorized access, modification or disclosure. When your Personal Information is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was obtained, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify your Personal Information. However, most of the Personal Information is or will be stored in client files which will be kept by us for a minimum of 7 years.
Credit card security
- Any online payments are transmitted through a reputable financial institution. In Australia, we accept credit card payments through the National Australia Bank payment system NAB Transact. In Norway credit card payments are accepted through Nets AS.
- 50 Degrees North does not process or store your credit card information through any of its systems.
- If any credit card information is collected by us for a in person manual transaction, such personal information is destroyed or de-identified when no longer needed.
You may access the Personal Information we hold about you and to update and/or correct it, subject to certain exceptions. If you wish to access your Personal Information, please contact us in writing.
50 Degrees North will not charge any fee for your access request, but may charge an administrative fee for providing a copy of your Personal Information.
In order to protect your Personal Information, we may require identification from you before releasing the requested information.
- As discussed above, you can choose not to provide us with any information, although it may be needed to book travel or to take advantage of certain features offered.
- You will be given the opportunity to unsubscribe from commercial emails in any such message that we send you. Please note that we reserve the right to send you other communications, including service announcements, administrative messages, and surveys relating either to your booking or enquiry, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
- To help us recognize your browser as a previous visitor and save and remember any preferences that may have been set while your browser was visiting our site.
- To help us customize the content and advertisements provided to you on our website and on other sites across the Internet. For example, when you access a page on our website, a cookie is automatically set by us, our service providers, or our partners to recognize your browser as you navigate on the Internet and to present you with information and advertising based on your apparent interests.
- To help measure and research the effectiveness of website features and offerings, advertisements, and email communications (by determining which emails you open and act upon).
Our website is a general audience site and does not offer services directed to children. Should a child whom we know to be under 13 send personal information to us, we will use that information only to respond directly to that child to inform him or her that we must have parental consent before receiving his or her personal information.
We comply with the US-EU Safe Harbor Framework and the US-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the US Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use and retention of personal information from European Union member countries and Switzerland.
This Policy may change from time to time and is available on our website.
Phone: +47 21 04 01 00 (Norway) or +61 3 8682 8905 (Australia)